Wednesday 3 November 2010

Organza flower brooch


I mentioned making this brooch on a forum, but didn't have any photos to show. Well, now there are a couple of pics. It's my first assembled "burnt organza" flower, though I've made petals before that I never got around to stitching together.

This is a really simple flower. I cut about a dozen irregular circles in four sizes from a wide Mokuba organza ribbon, melted the edges over a candle and then stacked the ruffled petals. Then I stitched a few white opal seeds to the centre and added a brooch pin to the back. I can't decide if I think it looks like an old-fashioned rose, a peony or a ranuclus flower.

I only had white organza to play with. It looks nice, really romantic wedding style, but I want to use other colours too. Want to make more substantial and less ethereal flowers, if you know what I mean.


There are many places online where you can learn to various kinds of "burnt" organza flowers: Little Birdie Secrets, Engageology, Reese Dixon, Cut Out + Keep, What You Make It, You Can't Take It With You. Sew4Home have both instructions and templates. Mad Mim have three different tuts: The Burnt Edges Criss-Cross Flower, The Burnt Petal Flower and The Burnt Edges Circle Flower. And then there's YouTube of cause with videos like e.g. How to Make a Pretty Organza Flower and Rayon/Organza Flower Technique. In this one a Cuttlebug is used to cut the circles -- saves time when you don't have to cut them yourself.

I've got a few other styles of organza flowers planned. Not sure how they'll turn out, but I have a semi-finished chrysanthemum. Inspired by a ribbon flower project by Helen Gibb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...