Wednesday 13 July 2011

Inspiration can be everywhere


Yes, you can find inspiration in everything. It's just as much about yourself -- the way you look at something and the mood you're in -- as the object you're looking at whether or not you find inspiration in the things around you. In this case maybe it wasn't surprising the everyday object in question would be inspirational. After all it's designed to be looked at and if not admired so at least liked. Liked enought to attract potential buyers. I really like the black against that special warm vanilla beige. The colour might not look that special, not even to me at times, but there's something about these boxes that attracts me and makes me want to save them when I buy them.

It's not just that I love the vanilla liquorice pastilles inside. Which I do -- heck, just seeing it and writing about it makes me crave vanilla liquorice! No, it's something about the colours and design. It's something about the old-fashioned elegance of the black and beige. I'm thinking vintage couture, Paris, 1950's ladies' garments (Jackie Kennedy) but also the era between the wars. Something slightly art deco about it perhaps. I have a hate-love relationship with art deco -- a style that never really became popular in Sweden in the days. And the 50's are rarely my cup of tea. But still, there's something in the clean, almost strict, design and colours that keep attracting me. And make me think I ought to do something inspired by the box.

But what? It's not really my style, not at all. I like nature-inspired and dark romanticism. Not Chanel No. 5 and pillbox hats. Nor is the style pre-dating that, the flapper girl era. This is straight lines, couture, elegant ladies and... and... And still, it inspires me. I don't know where to start, but clean lines seems to be my guideline. That much I know.

What do you think? Can I make a piece of jewellery inspired by a box of vanilla liquorice pastilles? I'm not sure myself. Maybe it's not meant to inspire me, just meant to be admired and appreciated by me. Just because you like something doesn't mean it must inspire your own work. Maybe I should just leave it at that. I don't know, but writing all this I more and more feel like that's how it should be. At least for now.


*

Footnote: Never heard of Ga-Jol? It's a Danish brand of pastilles that I really like, especially the pure liquourice (ren lakrids) and vanilla (bourbon vanilje) versions. They have a website -- in Danish -- here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so with you on where inspiration can be found! I love that. You had me at 'hello'!
    And I do think that you should take up that challenge and see what you can do to step out of your comfort creativity zone and honor this yummy treat!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it would make an interesting conversation piece.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I found some ribbon in the same colour as the box in my stash so perhaps that's one approach I could try?

    Alas, I have now also finally established that Ga-Jol have stopped making the vanilla liquorice pastilles and they're no longer available on the market. I'll miss them! (And I don't know anyone else who makes vanilla liquorice, poor me.)

    ReplyDelete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...