Tuesday 10 April 2012

Testing PicMonkey



A few days ago I heard about online photo editor PicMonkey. I looked around, "doodled" a bit and tested the different features. This is the first pic I've done using it that I've also saved. Not great, but it does display one feature I really like and missed in Picnik.

PicMonkey is created by some of the people behind Picnik so if you like/liked Picnik, you might want to check out their site. It's still being developed and new features are being added now and then. At the moment all features are free (even the royale ones that will probably be like Picnik Premium features in the future -- read about that here). Haven't had time to play very much with PicMonkey, but so far I like it. It has all the things I like/liked about Picnik. And a few more. The only thing I don't like is that you don't seem to be able to upload and save pics directly from e.g. a Flickr or Picasa account.

For this one I've used two textures, one of them being a photo I've taken. I like that I can use my own textures. My "texture" is the back of a Jules Verne novel, a swedish edition of L'île à hélice (eng. Propeller Island, also published as The Floating Island and The Pearl of the Pacific; sw. Maskin-ön). The house (which looks more american than swedish, don't you think?) can be found in Båstad. You can see the original pic in this post.


UPDATE: Ok, now I actually read the text on the photo used as a texture and have to correct myself. It isn't  Propeller Island, the only Verne book I own, but another of his novels that I borrowed from the library. Very similar design of the covers, but two different books. The photo is in fact the back cover of a swedish edition of La Chasse au météore (Sw. Guldmeteoren, Eng. The Chase of the golden meteor). Nothing else.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You really made the beautiful cozy house look all different. Looks like a haunted house to me! With simple methods, we can do really interesting things with our pics. Seeing is believing? Maybe there is something strange going on in this house at night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows... Must say it's a very different house from the ones you usually find around here. In my eyes it looks more American than anything else. (I have no idea who owns that house, just know they must be pretty rich, being able to afford a waterfront house in that village.)

      Thanks for your comment! It's fun to alter the mood of a scene like that -- yay for creative photo editing tools! Even more yay for FREE photo editing tools like PicMonkey and Pixlr!


      PS! Recently I made another pic using the Jules Verne book cover photo as a base, but I'm not sure it'll be put on this blog. We'll have to see about that.

      Delete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...